Pedoulas community is located in the Troodos mountain range in the Marathas valley at an altitude of 1100 metres. Administratively, it is part of the Nicosia district. The history of Pedoulas begins in Byzantine times and specifically in 1100 AD. It is a village that holds an important religious place in the history of the island due to the church of Archangel Michael, in 1474, which is classified among the most impressive Byzantine churches of Cyprus, with frescoes of incredible technique, a UNESCO monument. There is no reference for the name of the village and this is explained by the fact that the name Marathasa also covered this settlement since it belonged to a single area which belonged only to one owner of the royal family of Cyprus. One version is that Pedoulas took its name from the word "pedilas", which means shoemaker; others associate the name with the shoemaker profession and the fact that in the village, there used to be famous tanneries which were small craft shops in Pedoulas.