The beautiful village of Sylikou is situated at a height of 650 metres, up in the mountains, surrounded by many valleys, fruit orchards and gardens that were traditionally irrigated by three big fountains. The village is known for its wine, Zivania, raisins, olives and almond trees.
It is not clear where the name Sylikou comes from but it seems that it derives from Selicia, during the Franks’ occupation. The area rich in fruit trees and abundant water supplies was in turn ruled by the Franks from Syria, then the Turks. Archimandrite Kypianos in his History Of Cyprus in 1780, mentions Sylikou and Alamino as important farms belonging to the monastery between the 13th and 14th century.
There are many important areas in Sylikou carrying Frankish names such as the Frankish irrigated areas of Syrkas where there are ruins of a large medieval church with mosaics, the Frantziko, the Ilitsi and the houses of the Queen. The religious nature of the medieval area of Sylikou is also confirmed from other sources where it is mentioned that in the year 1400, it was a very important arm belonging to the monastery. Further evidence of this is found in the large number of chapels located on the farms such as St Mary of Syrks, St Demitris, St Mamas and St Marina.
When the Ottomans occupied Cyprus, the last of the Louzinian Cypriot families went to Sylikou, where they mixed with the local people, became Greek and played an important role in the development of the village. Gki Louzinian came from France to Sylikou in 1581 in order to visit his relatives. He later returned to his country and described in great detail the torture that the people were subjected to at the hands of the Ottomans. Gki Louzinian’s book is one of the most important and authentic records of medieval Cyprus.
Today, the elders of the village, though few, still maintain the importance of wine and Commandaria for the future the village.