Local Action Groups (LAGs) in the Rural Development Programme 2007-2013
The Local Programs of Axis 4 – LEADER of Rural Development Programme (RDP) 2007-2013 are designed and implemented through a ” bottom up approach ” by local partnerships of public – private partnerships (Local Action Groups) which are active in their area/region .
Local Action Groups (LAGs) are legal structures, with articles of association that guarantee the satisfactory operation of the partnership and the ability to administer public funds.
The approved LAGs by the Department of Agriculture, under the RDP 2007-2013, are the Larnaca District Development Agency, the Development Agency Paphos Aphrodite, the Communities Development Agency of Troodos and the Limassol District Development Agency.
- Have designed and are implementing an integrated local development strategy that:
-Interferes in a specific region,
-Is characterized by design and takes account of the interaction between actors and projects of different sectors of the local economy and
-Applies the ‘bottom-up’ approach with the participation of members in decision-making level.
- Consist a partnership that represents actors from the various locally based socioeconomic sectors in the area of reference.
- Have determined their decision-making level, in which economic and social partners and other representatives of civil society must make up at least 50% of the local partnership.
- Have the ability to design and implement a local development strategy.
- Have, throughout the life of the local strategy, qualified and skilled scientific personnel, specialties corresponding to the nature of projects and activities carried out under their strategy and adequate administrative staff.